Environmental liability insurance provides coverage for pollution liability occurrences that are not covered under the scope of general liability insurance. Such occurrences may include but are not limited to:
- Discharge of pollutants brought to a work site.
- Release of pre-existing pollutants at the work site.
There are various types of environmental liability policies:
- Environmental consultant liability – covers consultants who advise third-parties regarding environmental conditions.
- Environmental contractor liability – covers operations that a contractor performs.
- Environmental testing laboratory – addresses liability for laboratories that analyze hazardous materials.